Thursday, July 23, 2009

Lentils and Rice with Vegetables

Sorry about the lack of prep pictures...with all my visitors right now my kitchen is too crazy to take pictures during the process (and I'm loving it!).

This recipe is a variation on a recipe from a Weight Watchers book called Take Out Tonight, a cookbook that has a surprising number of really good recipes (I'm usually disappointed by low-fat/diet cookbooks).

Lentils and Rice with Vegetables

3/4 cup Basmati rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon peeled, minced fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, pressed in a garlic press
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 cups bite-sized cauliflower (I used frozen)
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup dry red lentils, picked over and rinsed
1 teaspoon coarse (Kosher) salt
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1. Put the rice in a bowl and rinse with water several times, until the water is mostly clear. Cover the rice with water and soak for 20 minutes; drain.

2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the oil, and heat the oil for about 10 seconds. Add the onion, carrot, cumin seed, and mustard seed. Cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric, cauliflower, and peas; cook for 2 minutes. Add the drained rice, peas, lentils, salt, and 1 2/3 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, 15-18 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the rice sit for 5 minutes (don't remove the lid). Stir in the cilantro.

Makes about 4 (1 1/4 cup) servings

3 comments:

  1. That's a lot of ingredients. Many ingredients = long preparation time = unhappy cook (me). Will you just make some extra and stick it in the freezer and I'll come and get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. RoMo, don't let the ingredient list scare you...this dish is quick to make. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good to me, I bet all the ingredients make for great flavor which I personally need when I'm eating a healthy/light meal. I will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...