Monday, August 31, 2009

Ravioli with Spinach and Tomatoes

Pin It I didn't plan on blogging about this, so I didn't take any prep pictures. But when it was done I thought, "Why not?" Super easy. Super yummy. Super good for you. I guess that'll teach me, huh?

This recipe is an adaptation (since I can rarely leave a recipe alone) of a recipe from a Weight Watchers Magazine cookbook called "Two's Company". The only thing that would have made it better is some lovely Parmesan, but I forgot to buy it at the store. Grrr.

The original recipe calls for cheese ravioli, but I've used a variety of filled pastas: cheese ravioli (like the recipe), cheese tortellini, cheese & chicken tortellini or ravioli. I use whatever I have on hand and it always works.

Ravioli with Spinach and Tomatoes
Printable Recipe

1 cup chicken broth
2 14.5 oz cans petite diced tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
19 oz fresh cheese ravioli, tortellini, or other filled pasta
6 oz fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon sugar
fresh Parmesan cheese

1. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large pot and bring it all to a boil. Add the ravioli, cover and cook for 5 minutes (7 minutes if the pasta is frozen), stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the ravioli is done.

2. Stir in the spinach and sugar; cover and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Take the pot off the heat and let it stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Makes 4-6 servings

Notes:
**When this is made with cheese tortellini, 1 cup=148 cal/3.65 fat/3 fiber/3 Weight Watchers points.
**I buy my tortellini, etc. at Costco. 19 oz is one side of a Costco double pack.
**I've noticed the big ravioli (like in these pictures) like to tear open while they cook, so stir them very gently.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for saving me tonight!!! This was super fast and yummy. Keep posting because I love trying new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally made my night, Jolynne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks positively gourmet - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally found this recipe.Ty Been looking for it since I lost my very old Weight Watchers Cookbook years ago

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...