Thursday, July 12, 2012

Spicy Black Beans


First, I feel I need to say that I find it strange that I'm suddenly able to find the time to blog more frequently when what I should be doing is packing for our move. Hum. Strange. And mysterious.

Continuing on.....

These beans are easy and take about 10 minutes to make, which is perfect because I had about 30 minutes to make something for dinner between me getting home from taking care of moving stuff and my husband needing to leave for Scouts. And they only have 4 ingredients (5 if you count the cilantro), which is also perfect. Did I mention they were easy?

You can eat these beans as a side dish, or you can do what we did tonight and have them wrapped in a tortilla with cheese and lettuce. The spice comes from the salsa you use, but you can easily amp up the heat if your salsa is mild by adding red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper or tabasco sauce (you get the idea). I used our favorite salsa, Jack's Special Salsa (medium-hot) (our Costco sells it in a big container, and I've seen it in smaller containers at other smaller stores) but you can use whatever salsa you have.


Spicy Black Beans
printable recipe

2 15-oz cans black beans, undrained
1 cup salsa
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Combine all of the ingredients in a medium pot, and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and cook, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes. Beans will thicken as they cool.

Makes about 4 cups.

*Use a slotted spoon to serve the beans if you want them to be less juicy.

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...