Saturday, March 9, 2013

Race Track Cake


It's been quite a while since I shared one of my decorated cakes, and I've decided I'll post one each weekend for fun. Maybe you'll even be inspired for one of your own cakes!

I made this Rack Track cake a few years ago for my nephew. It was such a fun (and easy) cake to make. This was before I learned anything about taking pictures of food, so some of the details are washed out by the flash...oops.


I started with a 12-inch two-layer round cake, and carved it to the shape you see. I frosted the sides with chocolate buttercream and piped the green buttercream 'grass' with a grass decorating tip, #352. I love to add rainbow nonpareils to grass when it's a fun cake or kid's cake. You can kind of see them if you look closely.

The race track is black buttercream with black decorating sugar on top. I found the little cars in the party section of Target. My favorite part is how two of the cars are wiping out ;) I made the finish line, stadium, and flags out of card stock attached to lollypop sticks.

Tip: The best way to get black buttercream is to add black food coloring to chocolate buttercream. You'll use a ton less food coloring than if you started with white.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...