Friday, April 5, 2013

Herb & Fennel Crusted Pork Roast


I made this Herb & Fennel Crusted Pork Roast for our Easter dinner last weekend. We had it with a bunch of yummy sides including Smoked Paprika Potatoes and my sister's mac & cheese. I love to roast meat because it's so easy--put it in the oven and wait until your meat thermometer tells you it's ready. The meat thermometer really is the key to making a great roast. If you don't have one it is definitely something I think everyone ought to have, even if you only use it a few times I year. This is the one I have. I got it at Walmart for about $12. Love it.

This roast combines tender, juicy meat inside with a really nice flavorful crust on the outside. After dinner I realized I should have made a sauce with all the fantastic drippings, but in the hurry of getting everything on the table I didn't think of it. I'll have to make one next time and link it to this post. Something for you to look forward to, right? ;) 


Herb & Fennel Crusted Pork Roast

1 2-lb'ish pork loin roast (boneless)
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed with mortar & pestle
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1. Heat your oven to 400deg. Spray a 8x8 baking pan with non-stick spray, and place the pork roast in the pan.

2. Combine all of the crust ingredients in a small bowl and mix well to combine. Using your finders, gently spread the mixture evenly on the top and sides of the roast. 

3. Insert the probe of your meat thermometer into the roast so that the tip is in the middle, and roast for 45-50 minutes, or until the internal temperature reads 150deg (the temperature will continue to rise about 5 deg while the roast rests). Remove the roast from the oven, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

A 2-lb'ish roast will serve 4-6 people.

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...