Friday, January 17, 2014

One-Pot Ravioli in Meat Sauce


The first time I made this I was 90% convinced it wouldn't actually work. The 10% hope I had was just because there was a picture of lovely-looking ravioli with the recipe posted by A Slice of Southern.

It totally worked. And it was very, very tasty. I did adapt it a bit to fit my families taste preferences: like no mushrooms (because my kids just don't understand how wonderful they are), and I added a couple other goodies for extra deliciousness. Something I really want to try is adding some spinach. So yum!

If you need dinners that are fast and easy, this should definitely be on your short list. And even though I've made this several times with the ravioli, I don't see why it wouldn't work with tortellini, my youngest is just on a ravioli kick right now. Also, normally I hate making ravioli because half of them always end up split open by the time I'm done boiling them, but when I make them this way they always stay whole and gorgeous. This recipe just scores point after point after point.

Note: This makes great left-overs. I have even portioned out left-overs into zip-top bags and tucked them away in the freezer for lunches or dinners later.


One-Pot Ravioli in Meat Sauce (adapted from A Slice of Southern)
printable recipe

1 pound lean ground beef (I used beefalo because that's what's filling my freezer right now)
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 24-oz jars of Classico (or other brand) Tomato-Basil sauce (or 1 giant 44-oz jar)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup water
1 20-oz package refrigerated cheese ravioli
shredded Parmesan cheese for serving

1. In a large pot over medium heat, brown and crumble the ground beef until it's no longer pink. Use a folded paper towel and tongs to soak up most of the grease. Add the onion, garlic, fennel seed, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.

2. Add the tomato-basil sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and water. Increase the heat and bring to a boil.

3. Add the ravioli and bring it back to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent the raviolis from sticking to the bottom of the pan and to each other, until the ravioli is tender, 8-10 minutes. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Makes about 6 2-cup servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...