Friday, April 1, 2011

Homemade Yogurt with Granola and Honey

I was totally inspired by 5 Second Rule's post from a few days ago where she made her own version of a Larabar, and I decided to try to make my own version of a Clif bar my husband really likes.

My first go included a purchased cranberry-sunflower seed trail mix, quick oats, rice krispie cereal, creamy peanut butter, honey, and vanilla. The flavor was super, super good, but it crumbled when you picked up the bars; it needs more sticky stuff. So I crumbled it all onto a sprayed baking sheet and baked it at 350 for 20 minutes (I stirred it at the 10-minute mark). Once it cooled it was a beautifully crunchy granola. For breakfast this morning I had it with some of my homemade yogurt and a little honey. So tasty!

Stay tuned for more granola bar testing; my 8-year-old practically lives on a store-brand knock-off of Fiber 1 bars, and I'm going to come up with my own version of that. Thinking of the money I could save just making her bars (plus no mystery ingredients) makes me a little giddy!

4 comments:

  1. Nice looking granola, Tiffiny! isn't it nice when things don't work out as planned but they're still delicious?

    You may want to try pulverized dates as a binder next time. The idea came from my friend Tracy at the blog Shutterbean, who was the original inspiration for my recipe, but I think it's also the binder in the Larabars. (At least that's my assumption since it features prominently in the short ingredients list).

    I've also heard brown rice syrup works well, if you're into experimenting.

    Good luck, and thanks for the call-out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love homemade granola... yours looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...