Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Fruited Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Sisters are great for so many things, and in this case, for this recipe for a delicious croissant sandwich stuffed with chicken, grapes, Mandarin oranges, and almonds in a creamy dressing. I must confess I was a little scared the first time I ate this (years ago), but I was quickly converted to the I-love-this-sandwich camp. I've also eaten this salad on cut romaine for a lower-carb (and lower-fat without the luscious croissant) meal. The crunch of the lettuce adds a really nice touch. The salad is super-yum regardless how you eat it!

My sister's tips: Don't cut the croissant all the way through. Rather, cut it leaving a hinge at the back so that the filling doesn't fall out when you're trying to eat it. Also, cut the chicken small (less than 1/2-inch cubes). Cubes that are any bigger also tend to fall out of the roll while you're eating.

Fruited Chicken Salad Sandwiches (from Crystal Bell)
Printable recipe

10 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into small cubes
1 cup diced celery
2 cups halved red grapes (seedless)
1 large can Mandarin oranges, well drained
1 small can crushed pineapple, well drained
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 cup mayo
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
12-16 large croissants, sliced horizontally

Combine everything (except croissants) in a very large bowl and mix gently until thoroughly combined. Serve immediately or after chilling it in the fridge. To serve, spoon filling into sliced croissants and enjoy!

Makes about 4 quarts salad (maybe a skosh more), or enough filling for 12-16 large croissants.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks so fantastic! Thanks for the tips of eating the salad in a less fattening way. I love croissants though...yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds sooooo good! I think I may have to make these for dinner, with a different version using what I have on hand! Thanks for the great idea:)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...