Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Smoked Paprika Potatoes

Pin It Oh. My. Goodness. I can't believe how good these potatoes were. So, so, so, so, good! I'd never used smoked paprika before and now I know I have been missing out on something incredible. All I could say when the paprika hit the hot oil was, "Oh, my..."

There are so many wonderful things about this side dish: the red potatoes are creamy on the inside and crisp on the outside; the caramelized onions are sweet; the smoked paprika lends a subtle yet incredible smokey flavor. And I loved that I got all of this making them in a pan on the stove top instead of having to use the oven.

The recipe is from my latest issue of Cooks Country magazine. I followed the recipe except for the amount of oil; 1/4 cup seemed excessive. I used 3 tablespoons and it still seemed like it was too much. Next time I'll use 2 tablespoons and it will probably be perfect. Don't skip the oil altogether, though, because you need it to get the crisp awesomness that makes the potatoes so delicious.


Smoked Paprika Potatoes (slightly adapted from Cook's Country)
printable recipe

1 pounds baby red potatoes, scrubbed and halved (quartered if large)
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons smoked paprika, divided
1 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and 1 teaspoon paprika and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add potatoes, broth, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil.

2. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, until the potatoes are just tender, 12-15 minutes. Remove the lid and increase the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid evaporates, 5-8 minutes.

3. Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1 teaspoon paprika in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are deep golden brown, about 5 minutes.

4. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with parsley to serve.

Makes 4-6 servings.

24 comments:

  1. Try "Pimentón de la Vera" from Spain next time instead of paprika, it´s so aromatic you won´t believe it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo! I'm going to look for it the next time I'm at my favorite kitchen store. If not there, I'm for sure going to order some :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got & tried smoked paprika for some split peas soup I made the other day. I've been looking for some more uses for it, since it smells SO good!
    On another note, have you used malt vinegar before? I used that in the soup too and now I'm wondering what else I can use it in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am making thoses either tonight or tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so going to make these potatoes AND I'm going to look for the Pimentón de la Vera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They definitely look really, really good! I love crispy baked potatoes, and yours look perfectly so. I'll be trying out this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Grant Family, Don't you love it when you find a new ingredient? I've never used malt vinegar--guess I need to try it :)
    @Andrew's Mom, Get Real Chris, & Claudie, Thanks for your comments! I'd love to hear how it goes if you end up making them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is crazy for paprika! Your potatoes look delicious, but where do I get the smoked paprika? Is it in the regular grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Sue, yes, I bought mine at my regular grocery store; it's McCormick brand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these sound sooo good! i make paprika croutons (just paprika, butter, garlic salt, baguette slices) but these sound like an amazing side dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh these taters look crispy! Smoked paprika is a true hidden gem. Perfect for so many things , even oil and vinegar dressings! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these potatoes last night for a family dinner/birthday party and they were a hit! Loved the smoked paprika....I have never used it before. Wonderful aroma on a cold rainy evening.........thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am trying your recipe this evening, it sounds delicious.
    I will serve it with roast leg of lamb marinated in garlic, olive oil, sage and sea salt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Regarding Cristina's comment - Pimenton de la Vera is a smoked paprika - which is what the recipe calls for. It's not plain paprika fyi.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! It's Addictive. I just tried this at home tonight and can't stop eating it. Nice aroma too... thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are *so* delicious! :D Thanks for letting me know how they turned out for you--I love to hear from people who try the recipes I post. Cheers!

      Delete
  16. OMG, Its addictive! I just tried this at home tonight and I myself can't stop eating it. Nice aroma too... thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Forfeited all the rest of my dinner just to indulge on these! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was really excited to make these potatoes but I was disappointed in the final product - mine never got crispy. While I was waiting for the liquid to evaporate (step 3) the potatoes began to get over cooked and became mushy. When the liquid was evaporated and I added the olive oil, the potatoes did not crisp. Did anyone else have that problem? Would love to try again with a suggestion for a solve...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that they didn't work for you. The only thing I can think to check is if you made sure to have the pan uncovered for step 3, and had increased the heat to medium.

      Delete
  19. I made these today and wanted to vouch that they are delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely will be made again in our house :) I love Cook's Country recipes!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...