Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fudgy Brownies


Different people want different things from a brownie. Some people like a more cakey brownie, while others want a fudgy brownie. I'm in the second category; the more fudgy the better.

Several years ago (2003) I was toying with the idea of writing a children's cookbook (haven't given up on the idea), and one of the recipes I wanted to have in the book was for an easy brownie. What kid doesn't like brownies, right? I didn't want to use dry cocoa because the brownies I remembered from my childhood were made with cocoa and they were more like cake. So for the chocolate I used chocolate chips. I thought most people who cook would have some hanging around their cupboard, and I thought melted chocolate would get me closer to fudgy. You can also use regular bar-type baking chocolate if you don't have, or don't want to use, chocolate chips. Of course, my favorite chocolate is Ghirardelli :)

I had a working recipe that was pretty good and then I had to put the project on hold for a while (ended up being 6 years). This spring a friend of mine wanted to know if I had a good scratch brownie recipe. I remembered the recipe I'd been working on, but I wanted to test it before I gave it to her. Good thing I did, too. It was definitely not at the share stage. I made it six more times to get it just right. She and her husband loved them, and like all brownies, these are awesome with vanilla ice cream :)

Fudgy Brownies
Printable Recipe

1/4 cup butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or 6 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate)
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
2 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1. Heat your oven to 325. Spray the bottom of a 8x8 glass pan with non-stick spray.

2. Put the butter and chocolate chips in a medium microwaveable bowl, and heat on high for 1 minute; stir. Heat for 30 seconds more and stir until the chocolate is completely melted.

3. Add the sugar and stir until the sugar and chocolate mixture is completely combined.

4. Add the vanilla and eggs, and stir until the mixture is completely combined.

5. In a small bowl, combine the baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and flour; mix well to break up any lumps in the cocoa powder. Add to the chocolate mixture and stir until completely combined.


6. Bake for 26-28 minutes, or until the top of the brownies are flat and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean (you want a few moist crumbs to cling to the toothpick). Cool completely (if you can stand to wait) before cutting to get the best looking pieces.

Tip: Use a plastic knife to cut the brownies; the knife will slide right through.


When I was taking these pictures in my back yard my 2 year-old was sitting next to me on a over-turned bucket. She was so excited about the brown squares on the plate she could hardly keep herself off them. I turned my head at just the moment she leaned over to lick the brownie closest to her. Well, at least she kept her hands off ;)

12 comments:

  1. These do look so fudgy and good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. made those today!! I loved them!! they turned out a bit dry ..maybe i let it longer than 26 minutes .. but perfect ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your recipe on TasteSpotting and it was exactly what I was looking because I, too, am a fudgy brownie person. As soon as I tasted the batter I knew it would turn out wonderful! My compliments and I have made sure to give your recipe credit to those who have gobbled them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Stephanie, thanks for your compliment! I'm so glad they turned out for you :) They really are so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious! Mine were great :D Thank you for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like fudgy brownies too and yours look sooooo fudgy good. I just found your blog and can't wait to try some of your delish recipes. I love to cook and bake, but especially eat and I had a great visit here on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valeria, Welcome! I'm so glad you found my blog! Definitely try the brownies, but make sure you've got someone to share them with ;) If you're on Facebook, come see my FB page...I've got some fun extras over there :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipe! I'm sure butter is better but margarine worked and I used heaping 1/4 tea table salt and they were perfect.
    Dont overcook.
    I used a glaze of semi sweet(3/4cup) margarine(3tbl) cornsyryp(1TBL)& 1/4(tea)vanilla over a thin layer of marshmallow fluff.
    These brownies are fudgy perfect for any addition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ttom925, so glad you liked them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. These look incredible. I am so there

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...