Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Kaitlyn's Outrageous Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies

My older sister is visiting with her kids for three weeks. It's always so fun when she comes, especially now that her oldest daughter is 16 and makes fabulous oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Kaitlyn is famous for her cookies, and as I was starting dinner this afternoon (we had a Braised Chuck Roast) she said, "Can I make cookies. I want cookies." I wasn't about to say no, and was happy, once again, that I have a double oven.

We made a couple high-altitude adjustments with the sugar and flour amounts and they turned out perfect. So perfect that it was all I could do to not eat myself sick. Yum! Also, we cooked them for exactly 10 minutes, and took them out of the oven when they were poofy and looked under-cooked. As they cooled they settled into the awesome moist craggy-ness you see in the pictures. The dough also seemed to cook better after sitting in the bowl for 10-15 minutes; the sitting time probably gave the flour and oatmeal time to hydrate.

Kaitlyn's Outrageous Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies (with high altitude adjustments)
Printable Recipe

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups old fashioned oat meal
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Heat your oven to 375 and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, and mix well on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.

3. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix well. Add the oatmeal and mix well. Add the chocolate chips and mix gently on low until they are evenly incorporated into the dough. (Just look at that dough! Doesn't it make you want to lick your computer screen?)

4. Use a medium-size cookie scoop to drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies are puffed and the edges no longer look shiny (they will look very underbaked, but will be perfect after they settle and cool). Remove the parchment paper (with cookies) from the baking sheet and cool completely before eating (yeah, right--how about, "eat immediately and try not to burn your tongue because it will ruin the experience of eating the next 6 cookies"...).

Makes about 48 cookies

Note: for closer-to-sea-level baking, increase both sugars to 1 cup each, and decrease the flour to just 2 cups (though I bet the recipe would also work as it is written).

"Hey, Kaitlyn, let me take your picture,"

"Huh?"

Ah, that is one happy teenager.

42 comments:

  1. the texture on these looks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These cookies are without a doubt the best we have ever tasted. I just made a couple of changes to the recipe. Firstly, I used 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and then proceeded to measure smaller amounts of peanut butter, skor and butterscotch chips to make up the 2 cups as well. I also added about 3/4 cup of pecans to the mix.

      outstanding!!

      Delete
  2. These look great!! I love oatmeal chocolate cookies!! So delicious!! I love your step by step pictures as well. I find them always useful. :)
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies look scrumptious. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, That's the perfect kind of guests, they visit and bake you delicious cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How high is your altitude. My mom and another baking friend always have to make adjustments.
    These look splendid. Thanks for visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Crayl, I'm at about 5000 ft. I had to learn how to adjust my baking after moving here from California 8 years ago. My first few batches of cookies here in Utah were quite a shock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are some beautiful cookies....combining oatmeal with chocolate chips is just fantastic!!! how good those cookies must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see a blog in Kaitlyn's future:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol...these cookies are definitely a hit :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my...those look GOOD! Guess what I'm baking this weekend? Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for including the high altitude adjustments! I also live in Utah and it can be such a pain to remember to adjust every recipe...plus, I'm not that great at it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Whitney & McKayla, *:)* Cookies and Utah don't mix very well, do they? What a shock when I moved here from California! Enjoy the cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found this recipe on a goodle search. I did not have enough oatmeal or choc-chips on hand so I had to halve the recipe. I also used mini-choc chips. These cookies are OUT OF THIS WORLD YUMMY! Being married to a cookie monster (and partial to cookies myself) I predict an empty plate by nightfall! Having grown up at sea level and recently moved to Denver, I appreciate high altitute recipies - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made these a 5400 feet and they turned out perfect! Yum, thanks for the high altitude directions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! These were perfect cookies! I am at 7400 feet altitude in CO. I had to substitute oil for butter because a guest has dairy allergies, and the recipe still worked. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo-hoo! I'm so happy they turned out! Thanks for letting me know *:)*

      Delete
  16. This is the absolute BEST oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe I have ever tried...and I've tried many. If anyone has stumbled across this recipe for the first time, look no further. You won't be disappointed. These are flawless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! My family and I are in Leadville, Colorado at 10,000 feet and we just made your cookies. They turned out perfect! Thanks so much!
    Carlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Even at 10,000...that's awesome! :D

      Delete
  18. made them in nairobi (5,400 ft) and they came out great! also made a chocolate chip-free version. added cinnamon to the dough and cinnamon sugar dusted on top before baking. delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Nairobi?? I *love* the internet! Thanks for letting me know, and I bet the cinnamon version was so good :)

      Delete
  19. What a perfect cookie!.. My fiance brought some to work with him today, and his work crew had them gone within 10 minutes. He traded a dozen of them for a pair of work gloves & was told to bring more tomorrow..haha..that's awesome! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, you officially have the honor of being the person who has left the funniest comment ever on my blog. I actually laughed out loud for *real*! :D SO funny!! And I love that they turned out so good for ya ;)

      Delete
  20. Thank you so much for this! I too am a CA transplant (now living in Colorado) and have had SO MANY cookie disasters. Just made these and they are BEYOND fantastic. I have tried a couple of recipes with high altitude adjustments and none have worked as well as this! I cannot wait to try more of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know--I love to hear from people! :)

      Delete
  21. Fool proof which is just what I needed - delish - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. After years of baking cookies that look like pancakes, I finally made some that look like real chocolate chip cookies! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing from people like you! Thanks for coming back to tell me about your cookies! :)

      Delete
  23. Ahhhh~!!! As I'm eating my FOURTH cookie, I came back to thank you for sharing - these worked *perfectly* at 7200 ft. :D :D Now I have to go put in extra work. . .

    ReplyDelete
  24. These cookies...AMAZING! No more pancake cookies in my house! Thanks for the great recipe!


    -Becca

    ReplyDelete
  25. I made these and added 1/2 cup of fresh pomegranate, very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These cookies were amazing! I live in Ecuador where we're at 10,000+ feet and I didn't change anything in the recipe and they came out perfectly! Oh, and I never bake, my friends say I'm allergic to the kitchen so this was a big deal for me, so thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. It seems like to make it not so difficult, let me try at home after work.Thanks a lot for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  28. This has become my family's favorite cookie recipe. I live in WY at 4500 ft. and they turn out great. Often I substitute a 10-grain hot cereal mix (which is predominately old fashioned oats) from the bulk section of a health food co-op to make me feel self- righteous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to hear things like this--Thanks for letting me know! And great idea about the hot cereal mix. Makes them a health food, yes? ;)

      Delete
  29. This is your basic Toll House Chocolate Chip cookie recipe with 2 cups of oats added. My mom started with the original recipe from Toll House but halved the chocolate chips and then added oats, raisins, nuts, and coconut flakes when I was a Freshman in college in 1988. So delicious - every bite was different. Cookies did not last once I passed them around in the dorm. Cannot seem to make them taste as good even though I use the same ingredients. Must be the added mom's love that went into that batch.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I found your recipe this morning and made up a batch. I live in Idaho and moved here from Calif. and I have finally found a perfect chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe! Wow! Thanks for learning the tweaks... my family is going to love these! They are yummy and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These were perfect! I made 1/2 with raisins and 1/2 with chocolate chip, but these baked to just the right texture at 5280ft here in Denver (not easy!). Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is my go-to cookie recipe for high altitude and they always come out great! I've made them at 5500 and 8200 feet. Last time I made them, I was distracted and completely forgot to add the baking soda and powder.... they came out much softer and chewier than usual and I LOVED THEM like that. I think I'm going to completely omit the leavening from now on!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...