Thursday, July 2, 2009

Fruit and Grilled Pork Salad

What is it about moving that makes you fall into a black hole, where nothing exists except towers of boxes, lists of services to setup, change, or cancel, and decisions about countertops, carpet, and paint?

I'm still here, and even though I finally have internet service, my kitchen is not especially cooking-friendly. Soon. I hope. I'm really tired of eating out, and am itching to start cooking real food.

In the mean time, here is something I did before the chaos started. If you remember, I was a contestant in Foodie Fights #4 with my Grilled Pork and Cantaloupe with Spicy Balsamic Glaze back in the beginning of June. After all the excitement of the competition wore off I had some yummy left-overs in the fridge and decided to have them for lunch. But instead of just warming them up, I used them to make a scrumptious salad. It was so good, that after I enjoyed mine, I felt very obliged to make my husband, who was working from home that day, a salad, too. Besides, he would have seen the evidence in the sink ;)

For my individual salad I started with a simple oil and vinegar dressing:

In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, about 1/8th teaspoon coarse salt, and about 1/8th teaspoon fresh ground black pepper.

To the bowl I added 3 handfulls (about 3 cups) washed, cut lettuce (I love red leaf), and then used tongs to gently turn the lettuce to coat it with the dressing.

Then I warmed the pork in the microwave, just to take the chill off, brushed it with left-over Spicy Balsamic Glaze (also warmed slightly in the microwave), and sliced it thin. I used half of the chop for my salad and half the chop for my husband's salad (though he would have liked more, I'm sure).

When I assembled the salad I added sliced cucumber and tomato to the left-over strawberries and cantaloupe. I would have added some thinly sliced red onion, too, if I'd had some. To finish it all off I drizzled some more of the Spicy Balsamic Glaze over the sliced pork.

I love it when I can use left-overs from one meal to make a totally different meal. And with the fruit, pork, and simple oil and vinegar dressing, this salad was perfect for summer. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. I like adding meats to salads to turn them into light meals in the Summer. This one looks good!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...