Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Alex's Chicken Noodle Soup

My almost-13 year-old daughter loves chicken noodle soup. Loves it. And for a long time I bought Campbell's. Then I realized she was eating a whole can almost every day of the week, and I started counting up the amount of sodium she was putting into her body. I tried the lower sodium variety and she hated it.

When I first told her I wasn't going to buy it anymore she about died. Then I told her I was going to come up with an easy recipe, and I was going to teach her how to make it so she could have it whenever she wanted. Her interest was piqued, but only slightly; she loves my cooking and didn't doubt my recipe-creating ability, but, make it herself?

The recipe I came up with is very easy, and while it does have some sodium because of the chicken broth, it's less than Campbell's. An added bonus is this soup actually has veggies and pieces of chicken in it :) Notice everything is in "1's"? Like I said, super easy.

The picture for this post is of the soup she made--by herself, with just a tiny bit of guidance--a couple days ago. Wiping a tear. Makes a mom proud :)

Alex's Chicken Noodle Soup

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 rib celery, diced
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 32-oz carton chicken broth
1 cup water
1 cup dried egg noodles

1. Heat a medium pot over medium-high heat for two minutes; reduce the heat to medium. Add the oil and heat it for about 10 seconds.

2. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme and cook for 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 2 additional minutes.

3. Add the chicken broth and water, and scrape up any browned bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and simmer for 8 minutes.

4. Add the egg noodles and simmer until the noodles are tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the chicken and heat everything through.

Makes about 4 cups soup.

Note: When I make this soup I make a triple batch and freeze it in 1 1/2 cup measurements for quick, easy snacks and lunches.

10 comments:

  1. I may be the only person living who despises chicken noodle soup. No offense, Alex, but that doesn't look appetizing at all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! I shall be attempting this tommorow for lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. RoMo: I'll still keep you :)

    une tasse: Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome that she made it herself! It looks delicious, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made chicken soup yesterday. Like it clear without the vegetables and I add the noodles or matzo balls after.Like to use the carrots to accompany the cooked chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend of mine has a virus and I decided to make chicken noodle soup for her, the only thing I did different was that I had chicken breasts and thighs in my freezer, I cooked them in water with the celery (I don't like to bite into crunchy celery) then took them out to pull apart, didn't add any oil since the thigh had skin on it, and put in some chicken boullion paste. This is a wonderful chicken soup base, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was too sick to make dinner so I convinced my boyfriend to make this for me today; it was a complete success! Thanks for posting this on Tastespotting, I'm going to make a large batch of it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dec.1 Anonymous and Dec.5 Anonymous, Thanks for your comments! I'm so pleased the soup worked for you. And I have to agree, when you're not feeling well chicken noodle soup really hits the spot :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though it's 97 degrees out, I have a head cold and just made this soup. It is very good and was just what the doc ordered! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Alex can even make a few small alterations to this for a Mulligatawny Soup! Add curry powder (& garam masala) to the flour roux and cream at the end!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...