Saturday, August 8, 2009

First trip to the farmer's market

My girls and I went to our first farmer's market this morning. It was small, but our city is small. In spite of the size of the market, I managed to come home with some very nice produce, and even a jar of blackberry jam.

I surprised myself by buying some beets, a vegetable I've never cooked before (for fear of having to actually eat it). But the cute old farmer assured me the beets were, "just dug yesterday." I guess that means they'll be extra good. We'll see if I can find a recipe that doesn't seem too scary :)

I meant to do something with the cherries, but we ended up just eating them straight out of the bag--and they were delicious! I can't tell you how many years it's been since I've eaten a cherry off it's stem; I'd probably have to measure it in decades :)

We sliced up one of the cucumbers and ate it with our lunch, and my 6 year-old declared that the cucumber from the farmer's market was much better than the one we got from our little home garden (a plant in a pot)...hummm, I thought our little home-grown cucumber was pretty good...

And I'm especially excited about the beautiful purple bell peppers. They smell so good! They are going to be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...