Thursday, November 5, 2009

Raspberry-Oatmeal Cookie Bars

Sometimes things that seem too good to be true, aren't.

My sister brought me these cookies a few days ago. She recently moved, and after unpacking box after box, and eating out constantly, she had the need to bake something (we know how that is, huh?). She and my 2 year-old nephew baked these bars and they were amazing! Not only did they taste fabulous, but the recipe is incredibly easy, too. Too easy to taste so good? Nope.

Because this recipe has so few ingredients, good quality jam is important. The recipe calls for seedless raspberry jam; my sister used Black Raspberry Smucker's Spreadable Fruit, which was awesome because it's really thick and yummy. I don't recommend using a cheap, store-brand jam, which will have a thinner consistency.

Raspberry-Oatmeal Cookie Bars
Printable Recipe (original recipe on Allrecipes)

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup Black Raspberry Spreadable Fruit (Smucker's)

1. Heat your oven to 350 and spray a glass 8X8 pan with non-stick spray.

2. Combine the brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and rolled oats in a medium bowl. Rub in the butter using your hands or a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture. Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam.

3. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool before cutting into bars. For nice looking bars, use a plastic knife, and wipe the knife on a paper towel after each cut.

Makes 12 bars

9 comments:

  1. They look gorgeous!!! When I am done with a turkish delight...they are next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bars look great. I love the oatmeal treats

    ReplyDelete
  3. These bars look gorgeous - and very addictive :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude. These look amazing! Bar cookies are my favorite, and the crumb topping looks tantalizing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make these all the time, and they are so versatile - you can put whatever jam you like in the middle, or even sundae toppings like fudge or caramel. Also good with nuts in the topping (sometimes with fudge filling I add almonds and coconut to the topping). Bonus: they freeze well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking recently that I wanted to make something like this...I'll have to bookmark the recipe. I love raspberry anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wonder if there is a way to use fresh black raspberrys i just picked a bunch in my back yard and am looking for a quick yummy recipe. im going to have to experiment a lil. thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These bars not only look great, they taste great as well. This recipe is so eas,y even someone like me who doesn't bake can make them.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...