Monday, December 28, 2009

Pan-Roasted Green Beans

Fresh green beans are so wonderful, and pan-roasting them is a fast, easy way to bring out their flavor. I've added some onions for even more flavor. When I trim my green beans, I trim the stem-end only, and leave the cute curly end.

I've made these two different ways: slightly steaming them first, and not slightly steaming them first. The results are the same, just faster if you steam them first. I recently served these with my Braised Beef Chuck Roast.

Pan-Roasted Green Beans
Printable Recipe

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 lb fresh green beans
1 small onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until hot (about 2 minutes). Add the oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add the green beans and onion, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add 1/3 cup water, cover the pan, and steam for 5 minutes, or until the water evaporates (if there's still water after 5 minutes, uncover the pan and simmer the water off).

2. Add 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and cook, stirring very often, for 10-15 minutes, or until the beans are al dente, and slightly charred, and the onions are caramelized and very brown. Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Enjoy immediately.

Makes 4 side servings.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a bake off flunkie too!!! I won't submit any more because it made me mad when I read they only try recipes they think are promising. I'm sure they never even looked at mine and it was darn good!!! :) Glad I found your site. I can't wait to browse!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, LOL! We Flunkies have to stick together! I'm glad you found me, too...come back often :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were wonderful. I don't even LIKE onions, so I halved the amount & regretted it later! Nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kayleigh, Yay! Welcome to the onion-side, at least when it comes to these green beans ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...