Sunday, January 10, 2010

Red Beans and Rice

I got this recipe in 2004 from my sister-in-law's mom. She shared it with me after I raved about how good it was. She's from Louisiana, and told me this was authentic Creole :) It is definitely delicious, and every time I make it I'm amazed at how a handful of humble ingredients can be transformed into something to so flavorful and divine.

Red Beans & Rice

1 lb dry small red beans
1 medium onion, chopped
8 cups water
1 14-oz smoked or kielbasa sausage (regular, light, or turkey)
2 1/2-3 teaspoons Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups water
1 teaspoon kosher salt

hot cooked rice
sliced green onion

1. The night before, sort, pick-over, and rise the dry beans. Put the beans in a large pot and cover them with water by 4 inches. Cover the pot and soak the beans until morning.

2. Use a colander to drain the soaking liquid and rinse the beans, and return them to the pot; add the onion and 8 cups water. Bring the beans to a boil, reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer, and cook, with the lid slightly ajar, for 3 hours.

3. Meanwhile, prepare the sausage: Heat your oven to 400; line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with non-stick spray. Cut the sausage lengthwise, then in 1/4-inch pieces. Transfer the sausage to the prepared baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and keep warm (I fold the foil around the sausage to make a little packet).

4. At the end of 3 hours, add the cooked sausage, Tony's seasoning, thyme, and 2 cups water. Bring it back to a simmer, cover, and cook for 3 hours, or until the beans are tender. Add the salt, and serve with the rice and green onion.

Makes 6-8 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm....Tony Chachere's!!! I'm thinking this will be on today's grocery list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...