Pasta with Mushroom Sauce
8 oz shaped pasta, such as bowtie, fusilli, or penne
16 oz crimini mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
3 cloves garlic, pressed
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon cold butter
3 green onion, dark parts only, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
fresh ground pepper to taste
fresh shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired
1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta (don't rinse it) and return it to the cooking pot to keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, spray a 12-inch nonstick skillet with non-stick spray, and heat it on medium-high heat for 2 minutes; reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook until they have begun to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the salt and cook until most of the water released by the mushrooms has evaporated, 8-10 minutes, stirring often. Add the wine and simmer until it's reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of the chicken broth and simmer until it's reduced by half, 5-8 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth and the flour until it's well combined. Stir the mixture into the sauce and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and quickly stir in the cold butter. Add the green onion, parsley, and fresh ground pepper to taste.
5. Add the sauce to the pasta and stir to combine. Serve with fresh shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Makes 4 1-1/2 cup servings.
1 serving=257 cal/3.75g fat/7.25g fiber/5 WW points
*NOTE: I use Smart Taste pasta because it has added fiber with brings the Weight Watcher points down.