Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

Pin It
Is it just me? Or do you want to just stare at this picture, too? So fudgy and melty and full of chocolatey deliciousness...Mmmm....

I've been on a search for a chocolate drop cookie for some time, and finally got a really good recipe from my sister. She found it on allrecipes.com, and of course, made a couple of our usual high-altitude adjustments--less sugar and a little more flour. I usually decrease the butter, but we didn't with this cookie and it turned out great, probably because the dry, unsweetened cocoa needs the extra fat to keep the cookie from turning out dry. Also, The original recipe called for 3 cups of chocolate chips. We decreased it to 2 cups because 3 cups was way too crazy for us.

To keep the cookies soft and fudgy after they cool (and the next day), make sure you don't over-cook them, especially if you are at a high altitude. I baked mine for 9 minutes and I think they were a little over done. Next time I'll try 8 minutes. Because dry cookies make me sad.

I think this recipe is a really good base for lots of others...you could add mint chips, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, toffee, chopped-up candy bars. Whatever you can dream up :)


Double Chocolate-Chip Cookies
printable recipe

1 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spoon in and level)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. Heat your oven to 375. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and both sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla, one at a time, mixing well after each; scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix well; scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the chocolate chips and mix gently on low until combined. Set dough aside for 15 minutes.

3. Using a regular cookie scoop (or tablespoon measuring spoon), scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 1 1/2-inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until puffed and set, but still under-done. Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet and then remove to paper towels to cool completely.

Makes about 36 cookies.

5 comments:

  1. OMG! I just made these and snuck one in before dinner...heaven! I cannot wait to enjoy more later with a nice, cold glass of milk. I'm much closer to sea level and they turned out great. I liked the extra 1/2 tsp of salt too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am *so* happy they are delicious for you! Be sure to put ice in your milk ;)

      Delete
  2. Just made a batch and all I can say is, boy, am I glad I found this blog! I live at 7400 feet in Colorado and struggle with cookies 90% of the time. This recipe and these cookies are the bomb! Crispy on the edges and soft everywhere else with decadent choco goodness. I baked for 9 minutes since at 8 minutes they a wee bit shiny all over. Only other changes were chocolate sprinkles on top and I put the dough in the fridge for 15 minutes to furtber prevent over spreading. Got exactly 36 nuggets of love from the recipe. Thank you Tiffiny and the attendees at our movie premiere tonight will love these!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...