Thursday, March 15, 2012

Malt Ball No-Bake Cheesecake

Pin It

In celebration of Pi day (March 3.14) I made this amazing Malt Ball No-Bake Cheesecake. The recipe comes from my friend, Tamara, who is a self-professed lover of Whoppers. She says:
"This was a whimsical idea.  I love Malted Milk and I love Cheesecake, so one day around Christmas time as I was drifting off to sleep, I came up with this idea. I had no idea how it would turn out. My husband, who has very discriminating taste and is allergic to eggs, raved about it. I also brought it as a refreshment at a holiday gathering and it was very well received. I did not realize it would be a true crowd pleaser. It can be served with whipped cream and chocolate sauce.  

Side note: Because my husband is allergic to eggs, I am always trying to develop scrumptious no-egg desserts."
This was my first no-bake cheesecake and I was really excited to try it. The flavor was very light and delicious, and the texture was light and silky and creamy, not dense like a baked cheesecake. Everyone in my family gave it a huge thumbs up, even my Sophie who doesn't touch pie, and it was really hard to not eat half of it myself (not a good idea). It was also really easy to put together and is definitely now on my list of awesome desserts to make again and again. If you'd like to see more of Tamara's recipes, she has a blog called Baking Banquet.

I should note that I used 1 cup of crushed malt balls, instead of the 3/4 cup Tamara listed in her recipe. I ended up with 1 cup after I crushed them, and I figured more would be better ;)


Malt Ball No-Bake Cheesecake from Tamara Lichfield
printable recipe

for the crust:
1 1/2 cups crushed chocolate graham crackers (1 sleeve)
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
7 tablespoons butter, melted

for the filling:
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups heavy cream
2 8-oz packages cream cheese, softened (I used full-fat)
1/4 cup sour cream (I used full-fat)
4 tablespoons malted milk powder
3/4 cup crushed malt balls (Whoppers) (I used 1 cup)

for the garnish:
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar
additional malt balls

1. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and melted butter; mix well. Transfer the mixture to a 8 or 9-in spring form pan and press to the bottom and half-way up the sides to form a crust. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, beat the 2 1/4 cups heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.

3. In a small saucepan, combine the gelatin and water; let stand for 1 minute. Add the sugar and stir over medium heat until mixture is hot and gelatin and sugar are dissolved. Remove from the heat.

4. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, and malted milk powder until creamy. Gradually add the gelatin mixture and the whipped cream, mixing well on low as you add them; continue to mix until smooth. Gently fold in the crushed malt balls.

5. Transfer the filling to the prepared spring form pan and spread it smooth. Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight for best results.

6. To remove from the pan, run a very thin knife around the pan between the pie and the side of the pan (I used a super-cheap paring knife that has a really thin blade). Carefully unlatch the clip on the side of the pan and open it slowly to make sure it doesn't stick and tear. If it looks like it might tear, run the knife along that spot again.

7. For the garnish, whip together the 3/4 cup heavy cream and sugar until medium to stiff peaks form. Fill a piping bag fitted with a large star tip (I used a tip 1M) and pipe the whipped cream around the edge of the pie (I made 14 rosettes/swirls to act as cutting guides). Dot the whipped cream with malt balls and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Makes 14 servings.


Thanks, Tamara, for sharing your delicious creation!


2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Even better that it's no bake:) Maybe I could even crush malt balls for the crust too, or add least at them to the graham crackers?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue :) I *loved* that it was no-bake :) I don't see why adding crushed malt balls to the graham crackers wouldn't work..sounds yummy to me :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...