Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Beverly's Double-Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

 

In my new neighborhood there lives a lady named Beverly. Beverly loves to cook as much as I do, and, super-happy for me, she also loves to share her love of cooking. I got home from running errands a few days ago and there was a plate of cookies in my kitchen. "Ooo! Cookies!" My husband broke the news to me that they were actually for my teenage daughter, who is in Beverly's class at church. Meh. I figured they were on my counter in my kitchen. Besides what kind of parent would I be if I didn't check the cookies first?

They were so, so amazing. Chewy and chocolatey, with a very interesting and very nice texture. When I asked Beverly what was in them she said grated chocolate plus the chocolate chips (Yum...there's the "chocolatey" part) and pulverized oatmeal (there's the texture part). Giving the oatmeal a whirl in a food processor is so clever.

This recipe makes about 8 dozen cookies. That's a whole-lotta cookies. If you don't need so many, the recipe easily halves.


Beverly's Double-Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups flour
5 cups old fashioned oatmeal (measured then pulverized in food processor)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
8 oz grated semi-sweet baking chocolate
24 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Heat your oven to 350. Line baking sheets with silpat liners or parchment paper.

2. Cream together the butter and both sugars until smooth. Add the eggs, 2 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.

3. Add the flour, pulverized oatmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and grated chocolate. Mix well, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Add the chocolate chips and mix gently until combined.

4. Use a regular-size cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving at least 2 inches between each scoop. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cookies will appear soft and underdone; they will set up as they cool. Leave on the cookie sheet 3-4 minutes before transferring to cooling racks.

Makes about 8 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...