Sunday, March 22, 2015

Homemade Refried Black Beans


My last post, Basic Pressure-Cooker Beans, was sort of a "part 1" for this post. You can eat the delicious, healthy black beans you made in your pressure cooker as is, or you can make these homemade refried beans (of course, you can use pinto beans instead, if you want). I like to make my own refried beans for many of the same reasons I like to make my own beans from dry: it costs less, I control how much salt is in them, they have a better flavor, and I don't have to wonder if the can has BPA in it. Also, I can freeze the refried beans so they can be just as convenient as canned from the store.

Note: I use a food processor, but you can also mash them with a potato masher if you want. It will take longer, but it will also work (a good kitchen job for your kids ;)

Homemade Refried Black Beans
printable recipe

1 lb dry black beans
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1. Cook the dry beans in a pressure cooker (method HERE).

2. Drain the cooked and cooled beans, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Combine the drained beans, cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic powder and onion powder in the bowl of a food processor. Alternately pulse, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and run the processor until the beans are smooth. Add the reserved bean cooking liquid 1 tablespoon at a time to achieve the consistency you want.

Makes about 3 cups of beans.

1 comment:

  1. I love black beans, I cook and use it as my daily water, Tiffiny! Now you gave one more choice for my lunch lol. Thanks for your simple, but very delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...