Thursday, August 20, 2009

Roasted Beets and Potatoes

If you remember from my post about my first farmer's market, a cute old farmer talked me into buying some of his beets, a veggie I've been able to avoid until now. The beets sat in my fridge for almost two weeks while I decided what I was going to do with them (I may have been waiting for them to go bad so I didn't have to eat them, it's hard to know). I finally decided to roast them. Roasting makes everything delicious, right? I figured I couldn't go wrong.

And I was right.

I roasted them with the yellow potatoes I bought from the same farmer, a red onion, and some garlic, and the mixture was as tasty as it was beautiful. I topped it all off with some feta cheese (my favorite). We were all happy with the result, even my husband, who looked at his first fork full and said, "I'm a little scared." Hee, hee...I was, too, but the beets were yummy! Thanks, cute old farmer!

Roasted Beets and Potatoes

11/4 lbs beets, peeled and cut into wedges
1 1/2 lbs small yellow potatoes, cut into wedges
1 small red onion, halved and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
fresh cracked pepper to taste
crumbled feta cheese

1. Heat your oven to 425; line a 10 1/2 x 15 1/2-inch rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray the foil with non-stick spray.

2. Put all of the ingredients, except feta, in a gallon-size zip-top bag. Seal the bag and gently turn the bag several times to coat the veggies in the oil. Transfer the veggies to the baking sheet, spread them to an even layer, and roast them for45-50 minutes; stir them slightly after the first 15 minutes. Top with feta cheese and serve.

Makes 4-6 servings.



10 comments:

  1. Roasted beets are so good though I don't have them nearly often enough. The sweet beets would go really well with the feta in this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try those. Without the feta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this recipe, and it is amazing!
    The flavors are absolute bliss.
    Thank you Tiffiny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott, I love that you made this! It's even more fun that you thought is was "absolute bliss" :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful. I'm trying it right now. My only thing is that I'm skipping the plastic bag and foil. You can do the same thing with your hands in the pan and reduce the waste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this lovely recipe! I served it this evening in a dinner for my dad, alongside baked salmon filets with a miso/sesame sauce and steamed broccoli. Absolutely splendid.
    I did make one modification - I didn't have any feta, so I used a nice gorgonzola cheese instead. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, I'm thrilled you made this for your dad :) and your miso/sesame sauce sounds just devine! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, I'm so excited I found this! I just got my first-ever beets and found this while searching how to cook them. It just so happens that I have potatoes and onions on hand, plus goat cheese... not quite the same, I know, but it'll have to do! I'll be making this for dinner tonight now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fabulous recipe. I sprinkle rosemary over the beets and potatoes before baking. i have also used goat cheese instead of feta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks for letting me know :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...