Tuesday, September 7, 2010

National Waffle Week: Pumpkin Waffles with Cinnamon Cream Syrup

This week is National Waffle Week! To celebrate I'm going to post three great waffle recipes this week, and what better way to start off (especially since it's also the first week of fall) than with these Pumpkin Waffles with Cinnamon Cream Syrup? Seriously, if you want to start feeling the fall spirit, all you need to do is make these waffles. The smell in your house as they cook is perfect for this time of year: warm, sweet, and spiced.

I first had these fantastic waffles after a friend (and next-door neighbor) posted on Facebook that she'd made them for her family for dinner. I posted a comment about how awesome they sounded and hinted that I'd like the recipe, and before I knew it she was at my door with a plate of waffles in her hand. Isn't she nice? They were so good--mouthwateringly good--and I knew I wanted to post them on my blog. Then National Waffle Week came along and voila! Here they are.

The waffle recipe comes from a blog called Pumpkin Waffles--a blog devoted to the single goal of finding the perfect pumpkin waffle recipe. Gotta love the singlemindedness. The recipe says it makes 4 round Belgian-style waffles. I made 14 4-inch'ish square waffles. The Cinnamon Cream Syrup comes from a cookbook called Beyond Oatmeal by Carlene Duda. Let me tell you, the syrup isn't the only heavenly recipe in this cookbook.

Pumpkin Waffles (from Pumpkin Waffles)
printable recipe

1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 teaspoons cinnamon (I used 2 teaspoons)
2 teaspoons ground ginger (I didn't use this)
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (I didn't use this)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk (I used 1%)
1 cup canned pumpkin
4 tablespoons butter, melted and warm

1. Lightly oil the waffle iron with vegetable oil, and set it to the desired temperature. (I sprayed mine with non-stick spray and turned it on to the preset temperature).

2. Combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl. Whisk together to break apart the cornstarch. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk to blend.

3. Separate the eggs: yolks go in a medium bowl and whites go in a smaller bowl. Add the pumpkin and milk to the egg yolks; whisk to blend well. Add the melted butter; whisk to blend and set aside.

4. Whip the egg whites with a hand mixer on high until stiff peaks form, 1-1 1/2 minutes. Set aside.

5. Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and mix them together until just combined. Add the egg whites and gently fold them in until no whites bits are obvious.

6. Pour the batter on the heated waffle iron and cook according to the manufacture directions. I used just over 1/4 cup batter for each waffle on my iron, and the automatic waffles-are-done light was about right.

Note: If you don't eat them all you can freeze the extras and then pop them in the toaster later.


Cinnamon Cream Syrup (from Beyond Oatmeal)
printable recipe

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1 5-oz can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, and water. Bring it to a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in the evaporated milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.

Note: after typing these directions I realized I made the syrup all wrong. I combined everything in the saucepan, brought it to a boil, reduced the heat to low to maintain a simmer, and cooked it, stirring often until it was thickened. It took about 20 minutes. It was super-yum.

1 comment:

  1. It's hard to go wrong with pumpkin in my book, especially when the recipe comes from a blog named "Pumpkin Waffles!" YUM! Hooray for my favorite season! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...