Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Simple Vegetable Bean Soup

I eat soup all year long, but I really crave it when the temperature outside starts to drop. I made this very simple vegetable soup for lunch in about 30 minutes. Well, maybe it took me 45 minutes with the chopping (most of the time is simmering-time, though). For such a quick soup it was very tasty. It's also very healthy: lots of veggies, low calorie, low (almost no) fat, protein from the beans, and lots of fiber. And almost everything is in 1's. See? Simple.


Vegetable Bean Soup
printable recipe

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 large carrot, scraped and diced
1 rib celery, diced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
couple shakes red pepper flakes, optional
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 32-oz carton chicken broth
1 small zucchini, diced
1 15-oz can kidney beans (or other bean) drained and rinsed

1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil and let it heat for about 30 seconds. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes, and cook for about 2 minutes.

2. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, zucchini, and kidney beans. Bring it all to a boil, reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the veggies are tender and the broth is slightly thickened.

Makes about 2 1/2 quarts soup. I ate it for lunch and then we had it with our dinner that night. And then I ate it for lunch again the next day....there was a lot of soup.

Note: This would have been really good with some fresh Parmesan cheese on top, but I didn't think of it until I'd already eaten. I was hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...